Fleas are nasty creatures that carry harmful diseases and can create issues for your pet. Call us at Canady’s Termite & Pest Control if you notice any of the common signs of a flea infestation in your pets or around your home.
Signs in Your Pets
- Hair loss—If your pet starts to lose their hair suddenly, they could have fleas. Some of this is caused by your pet constantly scratching and biting at the spots where they have flea bites.
- Scratching—Flea bites irritate cats and dogs, which is why they will excessively scratch or bite the affected areas.
- Welts and red skin—The saliva from fleas can lead to irritated, red patches of skin and painful-looking welts underneath your cat’s or dog’s coat.
- Pale gums—Fleas feed on your pet’s blood, reducing the number of red blood cells in their bloodstream. If your pet has pale gums, this could be a sign of a serious flea infestation.
Signs in Your Home
- Flea dirt—Fleas will leave behind small red-brown or black specks of dirt. This can appear as normal dirt or dust at first, so carefully inspect these piles.
- Ankle bites—Although fleas primarily bite pets, they may bite you, too. You might have a flea problem if you constantly get bites on your ankles or knees at home.
- Flea eggs in your carpet—Your carpet is a relatively safe space for fleas to lay their eggs. Put on a pair of gloves and run your fingers through your carpet to check for these small, white flea eggs.