At Canady’s Termite & Pest Control, we know it is comforting to know you have a reliable pest control company that will rid your home of the pests that are bugging you. We also know that if you take an active part in preventing certain pests, you’ll be even happier. We thought we would share a few prevention tips with you that could reduce the number of mosquitos you have around your Fayetteville, North Carolina property.
- Resolve standing water- Check around your home for anything that holds water after rain, as standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitos.
- Resolve drainage issues- If you have low spots that don’t drain well after it rains, consider adding drainage, calling in a grading company, filling in the low areas, or planting a water garden with flowers and other plants that soak up rainwater.
- Change water in dishes- Frequently replace water in things like birdbaths, rain barrels, pet water bowls, and plant containers.
- Use bug light bulbs- Some outdoor lighting really attracts mosquitos, so replace the bulbs with those labeled as bug light bulbs.
- Clean gutters- If your home’s gutters are filled with debris, they also hold water, which mosquitos will use to lay eggs.
- Mosquito repellent plants- There are several plants that mosquitos are not particularly fond of, including basil, bee balm, catnip, citronella, floss flower, lavender, lemon balm, lemongrass, peppermint, pennyroyal, and marigolds. Many of these are good for repelling flies too!