With the moderate weather that we have in the Fayetteville, North Carolina area, it is no surprise that termites can be a problem throughout the year. It pays to be diligent in preventing termites from getting started at your home. The termite control services we offer at Canady’s Termite & Pest Control are critical for protecting your home. Here are a few prevention tips to help you keep your home safe from these wood-destroying menaces.
- Regular foundation inspections- In addition to our annual inspection, you should walk around your home’s foundation multiple times a year to look for mud tubes which are put in place by termites scaling up to reach the wood component of your home.
- Regular crawlspace or basement inspections- A closer inspection is necessary if you did notice a mud tube. Utilize a flashlight so you can get a good look and press on wood here and there to see if there are any soft spots.
- Take care with moisture control- Termites need moisture to live and they prefer damp wood, so taking care of ventilation, sealing, and installing moisture barriers are good ways to prevent termites.
- Have bait stations installed- Your home will be less enticing if they have a better place to get the food they want.
- Store wood away from the house- If you keep firewood on hand for a fire pit, fireplace, or woodstove, take care to store it a minimum of 20 feet from your house. Also keep mulch piles, tree stumps, and other wood as far away as possible.
- Take care with landscaping- It is best to keep all shrubs and other landscaping back from the side of your home and trim any trees so that branches are not in contact with your house.
- Place gravel- When building a deck or other wood structure, surround it with gravel to create a separation between the soil and the wood.